Saturday, August 9, 2014

Foodie Movie and Food

We just got home from seeing The Hundred Foot Journey. I LOVED it. It was visually stunning. The food looked amazing and I felt happy the whole time I was watching it. The passion for food was palpable. For me it was a foodie's dream movie.
Food has always been a big part of my life. From working beside my grandmother in her kitchen as a kid to cooking a lot of the family meals in my high school years.I remember finally being on my own, fresh out of all my initial training in the Army. I was placed in the medical company barracks. It was an old run down building but I had my own room, two rooms actually. Two rooms with a bathroom in between. Had there been more single soldiers, I would have had a roommate. I was very happy to be alone. One side was my bedroom and one side was my "kitchen" and dining room.
There was no kitchen. I had a electric skillet and a toaster. I had a fairly large fridge that had a mini freezer. For some reason the medical company did not have mess-hall privileges. Which never made sense to me as we didn't really have any way to cook for ourselves unless we purchased hot plates and such. Anyway, I cooked fried pork chops in that skillet that were pretty darn good but whenever I went to a married friend's house I remember feeling so jealous of their stove. It was an actual ache. I missed the freedom of cooking something that required multiple burners and even an oven! I remember saying to myself "I can't wait until I am able to have a real kitchen again." For me not being able to create in the kitchen was like losing a part of myself. I hadn't realized until then just how much cooking meant to me.
Sometimes I feel funny telling people I am a foodie for fear that they might think I just sit around shoveling food into my face all day. :)  In our society we tend to put so many restrictions on what food we eat that at times we begin to feel guilty about letting ourselves enjoy food.                        
I love to enjoy food. I love to prepare it and savor it once it is done. I even love to savor it along the way to being done!
On the weekends I like to find challenging recipes that take me outside my comfort-zone. My other half and I also love to try new restaurants and critique them as if we are important food critics.

The Things I Love About Food

How it can make you feel.
How it can make you remember.
How it can take you on a journey to place you have never been.
How it is constantly changing and always teaching you new things.

Go see it, you won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment