Sunday, January 23, 2011

Trapper's Sushi, Puyallup, Wa

Some friends of ours recommended we give Trapper's Sushi in Puyallup a try as we were singing the praises of Fujiya (our favorite sushi place in Tacoma).

The food was ok. Not the best sushi I have ever had, but not the worst I have had. The biggest surprise for me was that some of the seafood was cooked... I was under the impression that when you have sushi it is usually raw fish. For instance, I ordered the Trapper roll: Crystal shrimp covered with spicy cooked scallop, green onion & tabiko.(spicy scallop roll) The sushi chef talked me into ordering it with a little extra spice than I normally have it. The spicy factor was hardly noticeable but the rubbery scallops were. They were cooked, really well done. I am used to the creamy, melt in your mouth texture of the 69 roll at Fujiya, my favorite roll. The Trapper was a huge disappointment in comparison.



The Bonney Lake roll was not what I was expecting when the description says: Tempura roll, with crystal shrimp & cream cheese topped with spicy crab. The crab was well....imitation. At least is looked and tasted like imitation. Not my favorite.




The best roll of the night by far, was the Marvelous roll: Tempura shrimp & tuna in a garlic cilantro sauce covered with avocado. It was really good!! This roll saved the night for me and made me want to give Trapper's another chance.


The gyoza was deep fried to a crisp. I prefer a softer, pan fried version. The nigiri was good.

Over all the experience was ok. Our sushi chef, Luke, was great. Some of the recipes not so great. The one thing they do have going for them though, are their specials. All-you-can-eat sushi, Lunch - $17.95 Dinner - $26.95. They also have a sushi club where you can rack up points for gift certificates. We signed up because well, why not.

Rating: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment