Sunday, August 25, 2013

An Adventure in Beef

I took an Eye of Round Roast out the freezer for dinner and then realized I had never cooked one before. The first recipe that popped up when I Googled "Eye of Round Roast" was this one: A perfect Eye of Round Roast Beef.

I was kind of surprised to find such a simple yet strange recipe. Preheat to 500 degrees cook my 2 pound roast for 10 minutes at that temperature and shut it down. Then don't open the oven door for 2 hours.... What? The ratings on the recipe were so high I decided to give it a shot.

I rubbed the steak with vegetable oil, Sel Gris salt, fresh cracked pepper, granulated onion and garlic and a tiny pinch of Road Kill Cafe rub.

Well, after 2 hours of sitting in the cooling oven the temp read 120 degrees. A bit too rare. I turned the oven back up to 375 until the temperature came up to Medium at 160 degrees. I think if I ever attempt this recipe again I would leave the oven on warm as my oven doesn't seem to hold enough heat as long as I think the recipe needs. Kudos to those who have better ovens than I do.

The Taste Test: Tender, juicy and very flavorful. We will be using it tomorrow for some steak sandwiches as it took a bit to long to eat it for dinner tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment