Sunday, March 2, 2014

An Adventure in Buttercream

I made my nephew's first birthday cake last May. I search high and low for a buttercream frosting that didn't taste like chalky powdered sugar. I came across this recipe during one of my Google searches.
  • Costco Butter Cream Frosting

    2 cups granulated sugar

    1/2 cup water

    3 eggs, beaten

    1 1/4 pounds unsalted butter, softened

    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


    Syrup: Place sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to soft ball stage, 240 degrees F.


    Add butter and vanilla extract to the eggs. Add the syrup. Mix with electric mixer until desired consistency is reached.
Ingredients
·         1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
·         6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
·         1/2 cup milk
·         1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
1.     In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.


I had never made anything like this recipe before and panicked when it all started as a soupy mess so I combined this recipe with a normal easy buttercream recipe. The combination was amazing and the texture was light and easy to work with.

If I had it all to do over again I would have made the frosting the day before and given the recipe time to work. I have heard that if you just trust is and keep whipping magic will happen and a wonderfully creamy frosting will take shape.




No comments:

Post a Comment