Sunday, November 13, 2011

Vince's Italian Restaurant ~ Federal Way, Wa

Friday night, we decided to try a new restaurant.  That restaurant was Vince's in Federal Way. I find it so exciting to try new places, a food adventure if you will.

Vince's feels like a local's spot.  The tables are red booths with red and white checkered table clothes. Soft Italian music playing helps you feel like you just could be in a homey eatery in Italy.  Though I could also imagine mobsters sitting in the far back corner booth and using the place as a cover business!  Haha.  I have watched too many Sopranos episodes!

The wine list was short and sweet but they also had a wine pairing menu which is always nice to see.  My date had the lemoncello lemon drop martini and it was heavenly.  I had their Pinot Noir which was good, $8 a glass. Next time I will opt for the martini I think!
We decided to try the Bruschetta al Pomodoro - $5.95 Toasted, homemade bread with tomatoes & spices for an appetizer.  It was different than any I have had before.  Instead of the diced tomato and basil concoction you are used to, it was garlic bread topped with sliced tomatoes and what appeared to be an Italian seasoning sprinkled on top. That was it.  Believe it or not, it was good.

The menu was fairly extensive, from pizzas, to pasta, and even a steak or two.  The pasta dishes are not the normal everyday pastas you think of when you go to an Italian restaurant.  At least not in my experience.  They have a lot of different dishes I had never seen before.  I went with the Cannelloni di Magro - $11.95 Homemade pasta filled with ricotta, spinach, pecorino cheese, topped with marinara sauce & mozzarella.  This dish was excellent.  I love cannelloni and this did not disappoint.  Though my favorite is still Maggiano's Crab and Shrimp Cannelloni, the shells were paper thin and the filling rich and creamy....ahhhh, heaven.


My date had the Pollo alla Parmigiana- $14.75  Chicken breasts topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella.  This was not your normal breaded and fried chicken breasts.  They seemed to be grilled chicken breasts smothered in tomato sauce and cheese.  It was good but I have to say I like my chicken breasts with a light, crisp breading when I go for the chicken parm.  Another thing that was different about this dish, was that it came with a side of penne pasta covered in the marinara sauce but they brought that out way in advance of the chicken, so you were done with the pasta by the time the other half of the dish showed up. We didn't like that aspect of it.


All -in-all Vince's is a good place to go if you want a hearty, simple, uncomplicated Italian dinner.  I would label the food as homey, comfort food that could have come out of some Nona's kitchen in Italy. Or so I imagine, since I have never been to Italy...  The portions are just right to fill you up but not leave you overfull.  We had no room for dessert.  A great date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment