Sunday, October 9, 2011

Beef Bouguignon

Not just any Beef Bouguignon, Julia Child's Beef Bouguignon.  My boyfriend pointed out later in the night that I had made sure our favorite meat guy, at Dave's Meats and Produce, knew that I was making Julia Child's recipe.  He was familiar with it and said "Oh, it is great".  He even recommended the wine that I use for it, Distant Bay Cabernet Sauvignon.  I think it was a good recommendation because the food was amazing.

I was looking to recreate the food from one of my favorite movies, Julie and Julia.  I was feeling adventurous and happy with the beautiful fall day that it was yesterday and I wanted to make something hardy and fally.  So I checked off all the ingredients we had in the house and made a list of the ones we didn't.  Then we set off to get the remaining ingredients and enjoy the day at the same time.  We stopped at my favorite cake place and picked out some amazing cupcakes to-go. Then it was off to Dave's Meats for some chunk bacon.  I figured it was the best place to find it, and the best quality bacon around.  But alas, they did not have any so I settled for their thick cut bacon instead.  It worked fine.  After that we headed to our absolute favorite market ever, way too expensive to shop at on a normal basis, but where we love to go on occasion to splurge and dream of having enough money not to have to splurge when going there.  Then it was off to one of our favorite happy hour spots for cheap but yummy food to tide us over until the beef bouguignon would be finished.  Boy I am glad we did.

Did I mention I was trying to recreate the recipe from the movie, Julie and Julia?  Well, I did.  Right down to the staying up late waiting for it to get done but minus the falling asleep and having it burn.  Yeah.  Turns out I should have read the WHOLE recipe before I started.  It has to simmer slowly in the oven for 3-4 HOURS!  Holy cow!  I didn't even start until 6 o'clock or so.  I just saw the cooking time to be over 120 mins. Ok, over 2 hours, in my mind I was thinking "that's not bad we will just have a late dinner around 9 or so".  Not bad, it is the weekend, and we just had a light meal at happy hour.  I just about laughed myself silly when I got to the part about simmering for 3-4 hours.  But there was no turning back at that point.  I cracked open another bottle of wine (the first one went into the stew, yes the WHOLE bottle.  I have never used a whole bottle of wine in one recipe, let alone dumping it in all at the same time!) and settled in for the wait.  Though as you will see in the recipe if you read it, you have to brown some pearl onions and mushrooms while you are waiting.  Which is OK because if you have ever cooked with pearl onions you know how long they take to peel.  I love them but boy I hate peeling them. **Anyone have a trick for peeling them??

I let it simmer for 3 hours and the meat was tender and amazing when I pulled it out.  As the recipe says, if the sauce it too thin once you pour it through the sieve then boil it down rapidly.  I had to do this but it was worth the wait.  The sauce was rich and full of flavor.  I was amazed at how little salt was needed for this recipe.  I am usually a big salt fan but I tried to follow the recipe as it was written and as much work goes into the dish it is actually made from some rather simple ingredients.  I like that.  Simple made fabulous.

We ate it with nothing on the side.  It didn't need anything else.  Tonight though, I am going to serve the leftovers with some boiled potatoes from my garden, I can't wait.  It was 12 am by the time I closed up the kitchen for the night.  One other good thing about having a dish that takes so long to make, you can clean the kitchen while you wait, so no dirty dishes all over to clean up once you eat.  Perfect.

The recipe says it is difficult but I would say it is tedious and takes patience.  It is not a recipe for those who like to throw things together fast but it is perfect for those foodies that love the art of cooking and creating in the kitchen. Those who love the adventure of cooking and can't wait to taste the fruits of your labor at the end.  Happy cooking my fellow foodies!!  Here's to long nights and good wine!

Just after it came out of the oven.  The sauce has been poured off and it boiling down to thicken and the pearl onions and mushrooms have been added on top.
If I ever make this again, which I think I will, I am going to add another carrot and some more pearl onions. They were amazing, buttery and sweet.
You have all the time in the world to peel them so why not?

The finished product with the rich wine reduction poured back over top.  You have to try it for yourself.
It is well worth the wait.

1 comment:

  1. I've wondered about pearl onions myself...this guy is making coq au vin, and blanches them before he tries to peel them. He also says it's okay if all the skin doesn't come off since it'll cook down. Seems like that would be the same in Julia's recipe above. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELh02H4SR20

    ReplyDelete